Our first assignment was to GTFOutside and find something in the night sky. I had big plans to use my larger camera and long exposures over the weekend but alas I was struck with a terrible fever and going outside became a very bad idea.
So I resorted to ‘taking a quick snap’ with my phone on the only clear night that was left to me. The first trouble was of course finding something in the sky. With NYC’s light pollution and tall buildings everywhere it was tough to see more than one or two faint spots. The second trouble was when my phone told me to move back to improve focus, which was dumb; how can I move back from the sky?
Partially as part of a class and partially for my own development/amusement, at the beginning of 2019 I embarked on a ‘100 Days of Making’ challenge. The journey is to make something new along a theme every day,.
I chose spaceships. One day I created a new 3d model of a spaceship in Blender 2.8, the next I animated it.
This post is a follow-up to the fabrication post about the same project. Still a work in progress.
Lamp: Mkr1000 + Hue + Neopixels
The lamp is a combination of a Mkr1000, Neopixels, and Philips Hue. The Mkr1000 acts as a server, listening for http requests from the user-interfacing web-client, requesting time data from the WiFi router, and sending http requests to the Hue Bridge.
Very bare bones at the moment, the web interface allows for users to select various functions for the light (for example, Candle Mode or Timing Mode).
The interface is made in p5.js. Once a button is clicked an http requests is formed and sent. I was having trouble/errors with the response, so the sketch ignores any responses.
Similar to original Long Distance Reading Lamp, this bedside light is intended in its final form to connect people over distances. For this first iteration, however, my goal is to create a solid 24hr response cycle – a ‘default’ state, so that the lamp can work well as a standalone bedside light.
After experimenting with a few form factors (I really wanted to make a nice cylinder, inspired by Casper’s Glow Light), given the time constraints of this assignment (and the wallet-constraints of being a student), I settled on a cheap ($9), off the shelf diffuser. This allows me to focus more time on the interaction and progression, and less on fabrication and (potentially expensive) materials.
Hacking the light fixture to accommodate my extra circuitry wasn’t too complex, though I took care to make sure that the AC circuit was safe.
As part of the final for Energy, Rashida and I are dealing with 555 timer circuits and intermittently power cycling a rover. For this class I’d like to create a modular 555 timer circuit that is A) adjustable in its cycle, and B) modular in its use.
I plan to sacrifice some of the adjustability in favour of a mostly SMD (and thus smaller) board. To allow for a bit of flexibility I will use a potentiometer as R2, and include two selectable capacitors.
R2: As seen here, R2 affects the time off in relation to R1 (time on). Unfortunately with the basic setup the time off can never be more that 50% of the duty cycle. Rashida’s solution is to us an ‘improved’ 555 timer circuit, my solution is to use a logic inverter in front of the relay.