Today’s sketch is entirely derivative. I’ve just finished reading Larry Niven’s Ringworld, and though a lot of the book has not dated well at all, the sci-fi imagination of the author captivated me deeply. As a sort of homage/learning experience, today I tried my hand at creating a ringworld.
Experiments in noise-based textures (the colourful ground) and distance-based shading (the blue fade off effect)
Files found here
In the spirit of self-improvement and play, I’m going to try and do something new in Blender every day for 30 days. I’ll log my progress and failures here. I decided to embark on this adventure earlier today while bored on a bus from London.
Today’s sketch is an experiment in low poly environments.
Find the blend file here
The gLoves are an attempt at reparations with my partner after spending four years together in Abu Dhabi. The UAE is a wonderful place, but its social norms frown upon even mild PDA. To make up for the many years of lost handholding, and considering that we’re now both in a place with bitter winters, I thought I’d put together a Christmas gift that warms the heart as much as it warms the hands™.
Continue reading “gLoves: a Christmas gift for nerds.”
This is a bonus follow up to the Lego Drone posts. It is a growing list of things that have gone wrong so far, in no particular order. Continue reading “A Drone Made Out Of Lego Part 3: Things that went wrong”
This is a follow up post to Lego Drone Part 1. I’ll go into a bit more detail about the process and parts I used, and some of the lessons I learned along the way.
Continue reading “A Drone Made Out Of Lego Part 2: The Trees”
A Brief Introduction
I’ve been wanting to build a drone for a while because, well, it’s a drone and that’s cool. I figured my spin on the plethora of DIY drones out there could be that mine would be made out of Lego. The following is an overview of how I went about attempting the Lego drone, and a later post will go into more detail and cover the results of this experiment. Continue reading “A Drone Made Out Of Lego Part 1: The Forest”
This project came about when the Interactive Media team I was working with decided that we needed better wayfinding to our lab. We realised early on that any wayfinding of ours would absolutely have to involve flashy lights of some sort. The problem was that the corridors in our building have very limited access to power. Continue reading “A Hand Cranked LED Sign”